Monday, January 23, 2006

The Kiwi Man

I enjoy giving people nicknames, secret nick names that only I and a few select others know. One of my favourite features about the television show "Lost" is the variety of nick names the character "Sawyer" uses when referring to other Lostees.

Among my favourite nick names are those that end with "man". Examples, "the gay man", "the hair man", "RoRo man", "the cock man" and "the mole man". (Please note: I have not invented these simply for this post, these are names that I have either given to people or that other close confidantes created and I use.)

Over the weekend, saturday to be excact, I was on a train. Unfortunately, I am still forced to to travel on public transport at times due to the punitive price of motor insurance. So until such a time as our domestic market is opened to greater competitive forces I must rely on bipedal locomotion and public transportation for longer journeys. Anyway, back to the point. I was on a train. Sitting to my right was a middle aged man with a rural accent, speaking on his mobile telephone. I was enjoying listening to him, he was returning from visiting a relative (at least I assumed it was a relative) who had suffered a stroke. After he hung from his rather long and unnecessarily loud conversation he removed a lunch box from his back-pack. The lunch box contained a banana and a kiwi fruit.

He proceeded to peel and eat the banana. After the banana and with a mere moments pause he then progressed to devour the kiwi. This is where he earned his nick name. I enjoy the occasional kiwi fruit but I am mildly put off by the quantity of seeds found in kiwi fruit. I am not such a big fan of very seedy fruits. However, when I do partake of a kiwi I cut it in half, around the circumfrence as opposed to length-ways, then begin to scoop out the fruit from its fuzzy skin with a skin and eat it, mouthful by mouthful.

This man, however, began to take whole bites from the kiwi. Skin and all. This both disturbed and fascinated me. Do many people eat kiwi this way? Am I, with my spoon method, the exception? Surely the fuzzy skin can't be an enjoyable culinary experience. Am I wrong? Is it delectable? I have been pondering whether or not to find out for myself but have not made it to the supermarket. Partly out of lazyness, partly out of unbridled fear of the kiwi.

Needless to say, as soon as I saw this gentleman devour the fruit, skin and all, he instantly became "kiwi man" in my mind.

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Okay, did he peel the banan like a mokey or a human? The human way blows compared to the monkey way.
Also, Kiwi is a berry. Because it has seeds. So too is a banana.

3:34 p.m., January 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my husband will forever from ths moment on be known to me as kiwi man.. he too eats the fuzzy skin to my oddly facinated disgust. He is completely sure I am the strange one who peels the fuzz, I am glad to know I am not the only one.

8:13 p.m., April 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home